Our wonderful Jen at Unearthing This Life has been posting these great month-by-month planners for a few years. Just because she’s not writing here anymore doesn’t mean we stop the reposts!
I’ve been pretty productive this April– completely reconfigured the usage of my house to reflect the new reality of being in it alone. Lots of painting, moving and patching. The garden’s been a bit neglected through all this, but I’m hoping to get back on track. You can follow my garden progress at MyFolia.com/gardeners/Xan.
Here’s Jen’s April planner:
- Tilling garden beds where necessary to work in compost and get rid of weed seedlings
- Edging beds or digging the last of the new beds
- Add supports to garden beds for plants like tomatoes, peas, gourds, roses, peonies, and beans.
- Sowing outdoor hardy annuals
- Sow last of the peas, potatoes, and onions. Continue starting beets, lettuces, cabbages, radishes, and carrots.
- Planting rooted raspberry canes and strawberries
- Hardening off and planting of vegetable seedlings
- Plant any remaining saplings and transplants
- Rake around fruit trees to help with invasive bugs and/or treat for them. Use treatments only after flowers are gone.
- Questions about what to plant when? Go to Mother Earth News!
Outdoor house and yard Chores:
- Clean up fallen branches and sticks, nuts, and leaves.
- Hang bird/butterfly/bat-houses. If you’re not a beekeeper consider hanging a mason bee box. Set up bird baths and drinking holes for beneficial critters like bees.
- Tidy up gutters and look for winter damage.
- Bring out water hoses and setting up water barrels.
- Repair screens check caulking/insulation around windows and repair if necessary.
- Purchase/raise chicks
- Consider any expansions and rotations for this seasons’ critters.
- Repair fencing.
- Add supers to beehives. Check brood.
- Wash windows and curtains.
- Organize and collect glass canning jars.
- Clean out freezers and storage for this year’s crops.
- Plan simple, yet filling meals for lots of energy.
What will you be working on this month?